Friday 8 June 2012

Bread and Yeast Cookery

 One of the things I truly enjoy in life, is baking. I bought a copy of Elizabeth David's 'English Bread and Yeast Cookery ', towards the end of 1979. It was a fascinating read , and a lot of my spare time that autumn was spent experimenting with many of the recipes. The success of of those experiments ensured my continuing enthusiasm.  Sadly, my copy is showing it's age, and use.


Over the years, I have collected a number of Bread/Yeast cookery books.( Above is a picture of my favourites.) Mrs David remains the best, in my opinion. Luckily, Best Beloved knew that my old copy was falling to pieces, and gave me a new, hard-back copy for Christmas. 

This simple, enriched dough is not an Elizabeth David recipe. It includes some grated lemon rind, and a little cardamom.

Kneaded, and formed into small balls, it has a second rising.Then, it is baked quickly in a hot oven.

A simple glace icing, made from icing sugar and lemon juice gives a sweet finish.

I don't know who reads these posts.....would the readers like the recipes included?


No comments: