Wednesday 22 October 2008

Crafting and shopping

I had (ahem) to go to Coldharbour mill to collect some yarn that I had ordered-lovely uncoloured alpacca/blue faced leicester 2/3 ply. While I was there, I spotted some other goodies.

Some gloriously soft Merino (top), pure alpacca sock weight (middle) and some gently gleaming silk (bottom). 'Knitty' has a lovely pattern, called Flora, which I have made before in a tweed. I fancied making it up in something luxurious....

So I made it in these wonderful yarns, and below is the result. With a little added mohair for the stamens.

Having made this yummy thing, I needed somewhere to wear it. Where better than KTOG2 in Bovey Tracey? So, off I went with my knitting, and some fairy cakes. And it was great fun.
I finally met John Arbon, and had a pleasant chat. A quick word with Tutleymutley. I also met a very nice lady, who runs Devon Fine Fibres. I had to laugh, fifty odd miles to meet someone who is almost a neighbour of one of my oldest friends. I shall certainly be visiting there...I'm sure I will be needing (!) some local organic cashmere soon. Of course there were other things going on, too. After a cup of tea, and a few words with wyesue, I made my way back into Bovey Tracey. I couldn't go that far, without visiting the Devon Guild of Craftsmen.
Well, I was almost bowled over. The building is a fantastic space. The size and simplicity displays the craft works superbly. And these really are works of art and craft. I bought three books, and some small gifts. It will be a good place to return to, for Festive Season shopping. (I am doing my best to avoid the C word).

1 comment:

Sue said...

Coldharbour Mill is a great place to visit isn't it? I haven't got over to KTOG2 at Bovey Tracey yet as it's a bit of a trek. Maybe soon...