Some time ago, I was at a Market, and was browsing around a second-hand furniture stall. Under a pile of other boxes, I spotted this little Gothic-style sewing table. It was probably made in the 1930s, and was in dire need of some care and attention. Having a penchant for Gothic-y furniture, I bought it. Once home, other things took over, and I put it in the garage, and forgot about it.Over Christmas, I decided that I really ought to complete some of the many projects I have on the go. So, the table was fetched indoors, and wiped over with wood wash. I then applied a proper wood clean and feed mixture. (The recipe used by furniture restorers.) This was then wiped off, and buffed.
The next stage was to strip off all the fabric lining, and carefully remove the padding, and any remaining tacks.
A good vacuuming followed that, to remove any lingering grot. Then a wipe over inside.
After work, the following day, I went and bought fabric for replacing the lining, and some gimp braid.
The old linings were used as templates for the new. They were cut out and required sewing into shape.
The padding in both the top box and the bottom drawer was carefully replaced with a modern version, Linto felt.
I will show the end result tomorrow, when I hope to have the final bit of braid sewn in place.